- Having the same fight over and over: While having the occasional fight in your relationship is normal; having the same fight time and time again is a warning sign. Sweeping a problem under the rug without coming to a solution only continues the cycle. Constant arguing can be a result of one partner not feeling understood or their opinion being valued. Constant arguing takes a toll on a marriage.
- Having little or no intimacy: Many people equate intimacy with sex, but intimacy can be sexual, emotional, physical, intellectual, spiritual, and experiential. All six of these factors play a major role in how couples interact. Intimacy levels within a relationship have many different factors; stress, resentment, rejection, or being “too busy” with life. When any of these intimacy levels dwindle it can cause tension and distance between you and your significant other.
- Lack of communication: Communication is key in any type of relationship let alone marriage. Effective communication leaves a couple feeling connected and understood. The trouble with communication arises when a couple no longer communicates effectively. This can lead to one or both partners feeling frustrated, and defensive. This is also how resentments are built. If the relationship lacks communication partners begin to distance themselves from one another.
- How you argue: it is to no surprise that couples argue, but it is the reaction to the argument that causes distance. Ignoring your spouse during conflict adds tremendous tension. The problem at hand will never be resolved if you are not listening to one another and validating each other’s opinions and feelings.
- Topics of Discussion are only superficial: Are conversations with your partner only scratching the surface? Are you discussing your goals, dreams, feelings, needs and concerns? Conversations remaining focused on easy surface topics could be another sign that the marriage is lacking intellectual intimacy. When a couple is incapable of connecting through conversation it leads to one or both sides feeling lonely or disconnected.
If any of these signs seem familiar in your marriage, please reach out to Growth thru Change.
Call us today at (215) 337-3993